Tuesday, August 21, 2007

From the Labs: The Fast-Track revisited

eHarmony's shift in advertising strategy has made me think, again, about how fast-track and guided communication may fit in a person's eHarmony strategy.

Over a year ago, when I first tested fast-track, eHarmony was following the "Come here to find the person you want to marry" marketing strategy. And, when women are subscribing to the site with the single-minded purpose of meeting their future husbands, they don't take kindly to a guy who tries to rush her process of evaluation. Causing me to post this article about using fast-track. In spite of the fact that I hadn't used fast track in over a year.

Well, in that year, the advertising strategy shifted. Now, eHarmony isn't emphasizing marriage in their advertisements. What they seem to be emphasizing now is the opportunity to meet people that you'll have effortless chemistry with, because of "deep compatability".

So, if people are coming to the site for effortless chemistry... maybe guided communication isn't the best start. Maybe.

On the other hand, many of the weaknesses of the fast track that I've pointed out in my original article still exist. But, I've been experimenting with modifying people's expectations of what the fast-track means... and, at this point, I can tell you that people are opening them.

I'm still experimenting with this process. At this point, I can't tell how many people will open fast-track for you. Or how many more or less will open fast-track than a guided communication request. But, if you were interested in fast-track communication, I can say that it is a usable option.

Here's what I'd suggest if you want to make the fast track work for you:

First of all, Have a GOOD profile. If people aren't opening communication with you right now, no fast-track strategy is going to be effective.

Next, in the final paragraph of your profile, set expectations. In my "call to action", this is what I'm doing right now:

  • Setting the right expectations for fast-track. In an inviting (rather than a negative) tone, tell your prospective matches why you prefer fast-track communication to guided communication. Give a good reason other than impatience or desperation.
  • Set guidelines for who you'll fast-track. Make her feel like she's done something to earn your fast-track request. Not enough to sell you on a date yet - but enough to earn the fast track.
  • Talk about the fast-track as a different, and better way to get to know someone.
Again, this is still very much "in-the-labs" stuff.... I'll keep you posted on how it's going.

No comments: