Tuesday, August 14, 2007

War Story: What does she REALLY want?

Okay, here's a story behind one of my recent matches.

To give you a sense of what she looked like earlier in the process - she's a pharmaceutical salesman. For those of you who haven't read some of the news stories, these are people who make sales calls on doctors' offices, to try to get the doctors to prescribe more of their medications.

Like it or not, most doctors are men. And the pharmaceutical companies know that attractive women sell more product than simple appeals to their intellect. And there have been a lot of news stories about how the drug companies literally recruit their sales forces from the ranks of college cheerleaders, beauty pageant contestants, and other sources of eye candy.

And, yes, she looked the part. Very well put-together in her photos. Her profile, however, was a bit generic. And contained some worrisome phrases - indicating that she wanted to be wined, dined, and treated like a princess. (I exaggerate - but only a little.)

But she did open communication with me. And her first questions were:
  • How important is chemistry to you?
  • Your idea of a romantic time would be:
  • What do you think of "Soul Mates"?
  • How romantic are you?
  • What is your opinion of traditional gender roles?
Well, she does have the looks. I'm sure she's got plenty of guys who will attempt to romance her with bribes. And, clearly, there are some "right" answers here.

Trouble is - those "right" answers aren't me. And, in the end, if her idea of romance is incompatible with mine, we shouldn't meet anyway. So... I treated her like everyone else. With no fear.

Here were my answers:

How important is chemistry to me? If it isn't there quickly, there's usually a reason...
My idea of a romantic time? It's what's shared with each other that makes it romantic.
What do I think of "Soul Mates"? Through hard work, anyone you truly love can become your soul mate.
How romantic am I? Most people would say I'm romantic. In a quirky way, maybe, but romantic nonetheless.
What is my opinion of traditional gender roles? Respectful relationships are much more important than sticking rigidly to "traditonal" roles.

Clearly, not the "right" answers.

So, what happened?

Well... she continued. And made some edits to her profile.

I guess I made her think about what she really wanted.

We're in open communication now. I still haven't made up my mind about her... but we'll see.

No comments: