Thursday, March 1, 2007

"About me" - a final checklist

We've done our tour of the "About me" profile sections. (Click on the "Profile building" keyword on the left to review the other articles). It's time to take one final look at your profile as a whole.

Is the tone conversational? Does it look like you're a guy who's casually talking about himself, or a guy who's trying to sell himself? If you look like you're selling yourself, take a hard look at what you're writing. People try to "sell" when they need to create value. You're already valuable. You don't need to sell.

Is there anything that suggests baggage or insecurity? If so... cut it out.

Look again for those weasel words. And again. And again.

Is everything congruent? If you say something positive about yourself, does it echo through the rest of the text? Is there anything in the text that implies something different? To these women, inconsistency = insincerity.

After reading the profile, does it seem like there are natural and interesting questions to ask? If not... you're not generating enough intrigue. Tell just enough about yourself to make a woman curious. And ready to ask questions.

That's all I have for advice "off the top of my head". I'm sure I'm missing things... so, if you have a profile you'd like to see improved, or if you have more questions about the "About me" text... email me.

We're not quite done with the profile... you still have those pictures to contend with. We'll start tomorrow.

1 comment:

Hank Robinson said...

Nice post. Says it all. Simple but not common.