Monday, March 12, 2007

Self-confidence Boot Camp - Part One

A funny thing happened last week...

I started the week talking about profile photos. Which are an important part of improving your results on eHarmony.

But... during the week, web traffic fell. A lot.

I was confused for quite a while. But, when I thought about the times when I was struggling to improve my results on eHarmony... the answer came to me.

Yes, I've already told you that, most of the time, people do poorly on eHarmony because of what they're doing wrong, and not because of physical flaws. The fact is, you don't have to be very "conventionally" attractive to do well on eHarmony. In fact, pickup-artist lore often points out some disadvantages to looking "perfect".

But, when you're in the middle of a failure spiral... that's a hard thing to see. All you see is your failure, which you blame on your appearance.

Well... if you really think you're too unattractive to get the woman you desire, you're probably wrong. And I'm going to prove it to you.

Because, when I was caught in that spiral... I needed that proof too. This "boot camp" series summarizes the experiences that made me change my mind about how attractive I was. I bet it will help you too.

So, here's step 1 of your self-confidence boot camp.

For now... don't take new pictures. Just collect every photo that's been taken of you in the last 2 years. And ask a friend to go through your photos, and pick the one that s/he thinks you look your best in. Don't pick that photo yourself - when you're in the failure spiral, you can't judge your own appearance very well at all.

Even if you think that photo is awful - scan it, and post it on http://www.hotornot.com . Don't worry, it's a free service.

Log in regularly (several times a day), and rate women's pictures. This ensures that your picture will be rated as frequently as possible. And wait until you've received 100 votes.

No, I don't think you're going to be a 10. But you'll get useful information from this exercise. We'll talk about that soon.

No comments: