Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Use the script, get more matches...

In one of my "fresh from the labs" articles, I described rumors that a script developed by eHarmony Blog may be helpful in squeezing more matches out of eHarmony.

Well, I've tested it. And I think that it does work.

But, some of us less technically-inclined folks might not know how to use it.

To tell you the truth... I barely figured it out myself. Here's how I got it to work on my Windows machine:

(And those of you who figure out how to use it on a Mac, Linux box, or other system, please leave a comment describing how.)

To install the script, and the software necessary to run it:
  1. Copy the script from here, and paste it in Windows Notepad.
  2. Go to "File" on the top menu, and hit "Save As".
  3. Under the "Save as type" box, change it to "All Files"
  4. Change ".TXT file" to "All Files"
  5. Save under the file name: eharmonyscript.html
  6. Download and install the Firefox web browser.
  7. Using the Firefox web browser, download and install the POW (Plain Old Webserver) extension, which can be downloaded here.
  8. Follow the dialogue boxes - you will close and restart Firefox.
  9. From the Firefox menu, go to Tools -> POW -> POW Home.
  10. Drag the hyperlinked "POW Files" to the Windows desktop.
  11. Copy eharmonyscript.html to the POW Files folder on the Windows desktop.
  12. Congratulations! You've successfully installed the script.

To use the script:

  1. Using the Firefox web browser, log into eHarmony.
  2. Once you're logged in, type the address http://localhost:6670/eharmonyscript.html into the Firefox web browser.
  3. ... and it will automatically search for new matches every 10 minutes.
  4. Please, if you get 6 matches in a day, stop. You can't get more matches that day, and you're placing unnecessary strain on eHarmony's servers.

We return to my "Boot Camp" series tomorrow.

3 comments:

eHarmony Blog said...

"From the labs"... hahaha, that's funny.

I kept them running 24/7. Look, yesterday they bought new network equipment "to support their 12 million registered users" (who all log in daily and communicate every moment to their matches, quite obviously!), so I didn't care about the strain.

Well, I'm glad the hack I wrote works for you. For the matter, my original code, as is, works in Opera, arguably the best browser to use for eHarmony.

Scott Grey said...

Oy. Let's not start the browser / OS / hardware advocacy wars... :-)

Mike Shoup said...

You don't actually need to run a webserver in order for this script to work. I'm running Linux, but the OS shouldn't matter here.

I simply saved the HTML file in a location such as /home/mike/docs/eharmony_script.html

Opened up firefox, and pointed it to: file:///home/mike/docs/eharmony_script.html

Grabbed a cup of coffee, and noticed a new match.