Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Don't buy this crap...

Lately, eHarmony has been adding optional features.

I've got no problem with eHarmony trying to make money. But two of these features will, at best, leave you poorer. And, at worst, they may make you less successful.

Let's take a closer look at two of these.

The Expanded Personality Profile
In the beginning, eHarmony offerred all lookers a free, complete personality profile.

So... in the beginning, people logged onto the service looking for nothing other than the personality profile.

Someone at eHarmony probably came up with the bright idea, "If people are logging in just for this... maybe we can charge them money for it."

So, they started showing people less of their personality profile. And started charging folks to see an "expanded" version.

Normally, I wouldn't have a problem with this. But, as a special bonus... they flag your account, saying that you have expanded information available.

Well... as I said before, you should NOT reveal your personality profile. Much less, be flagging it as having "extra-special" information. Or flagging yourself as someone who thinks that paying money will make their profile more appealing.

There are plenty of websites that will offer free personality tests. And you can keep your results to yourself. Have fun with those. Save your money.

The "Secure Call"
I've already told you guys... I've never failed to get a phone number that I wanted after using my open communication techniques. I'm not saying it can't happen (it probably will, someday), but it's never happened to me.

If a woman suggested "secure call", I'd move on to letter #3. She's asking me to pay in order to talk to someone I haven't really met? When there are plenty of women that won't? She's just too uncomfortable with the eHarmony process - let someone else reassure her. I'm moving on.

And don't suggest it yourself. It will make her wonder why she should feel uncomfortable with a phone call.

It makes you look like a married guy. Just call her like all of the normal guys with nothing to hide do.

Don't spend money on this.

1 comment:

Uncle Fester said...

There's a post at http://www.edatereview.com/011012displayreviews.aspx

about an identity verification service. Whether this is another add-on being sold by eHarmony, or just an ad displayed on his page, I do not know.