Thursday, July 5, 2007

"This can't work."

Every once in awhile, I get an email or comment decrying the fact that some of my techniques "can't work."

Which seems strange... because they usually work for me.

My usual response? I ask them details about their attempts. Sometimes, even subtle changes can change people's results, and provide good background for future articles.

What I usually discover is that they haven't really tried the technique that they're criticizing.

I'll admit it. It can be difficult to try some of these techniques. Some of them are counterintuitive. And most of us fear making such a move.

The question is... what do you really fear? If you try something different, and it doesn't work, what's the worst thing that can happen?

A woman will close you. But you'll get a new one a few days later. No big deal.

There's simply no harm in trying something different. So... try it my way a few times. You can always go back to the way you did things before.

My guess is... you won't want to.

1 comment:

Uncle Fester said...

My two cents for anyone who may be reading, and possibly snared in the "failure spiral" that I was after my first month on eHarmony with no success at all...

Simply "being yourself" will let you sleep better at night. Scott's ideas make perfect sense when your head isn't spiraling out of control. He's right - when you get your head on straight again, you won't even think of going back to whatever mushy bland things you had been doing.

Mind you, I'm not promising that his techniques will cause matches to reply with phone numbers and hotel rooms. In my case, they haven't. Watching the way my matches respond (or don't respond), I haven't observed any real difference. The real difference is in my own mind. Thanks Scott.