Friday, May 2, 2008

Your next job - Cracked!

As I've walked the path that I've endorsed on the blog, I've discovered that it's about a lot more than just dating.

My career has also taken off in the process.

Why? Because the same realizations that I've used in finding women... I've also used in my career.

If you're looking for a job, and you take the "supplicant" position... prepare to wait. Supplicants are a dime a dozen. If you're lucky, no one will hire you, and, after sitting in the "I'm a nice guy, why won't anyone hire me?" seat for awhile, you might wake up. If you're unlucky, you'll find a desperate or abusive employer.

If you act like an over-entitled ass, not many people will want to deal with you. They might use you for a little while, but they'll be happy when you self-destruct after the job is done.

If you go to the interview, quietly demonstrate your value, relax, look at the interview as an opportunity to see if the company is right for you (and not the other way around), and look at their questions as an opportunity to learn about them - the right employers will start chasing you.

And once you've made your selection? Know that you can leave at any time and find a better job if things turn sour.

And, you know what? Since I've been doing this... I've been much happier.

Oh, and another thing - don't just stick to monster.com or the want ads. There's some comfort in doing that, but, for a company... It's a mild sign of desperation when they put out an ad or hire a headhunter. The best jobs are found through networking.

No comments: