Thursday, May 29, 2008

Bringing Passion to your Passion

As I've observed in our last article, a lot of men treat their profile like a resume. They write their "qualifications", and ask women if they're acceptable enough to interview.

Unfortunately, it's a frame of reference that usually fails to attract women.

In my hands, the most successful profiles don't provide a sterile list of qualifications.

Instead, they begin to draw women into an emotional experience.

And when women are drawn into that emotional experience... they usually want it to continue.

Fortunately for us, eHarmony profiles begin with a golden opportunity to draw women into the richness of our emotional worlds. By asking us, "What are you most passionate about?"

And, fortunately for us... most writers fall back into "resume" mode.

Let me give you an example.

Many of our readers have become successful at their jobs, and are justifiably proud of them. However, saying something like, "Right now, I'm focused on building my law practice."

I don't see much emotion or passion there.

Now, if he expanded that a little bit, there's some emotional richness. For example, "While I was a clerk in law school, I began to hear the horrific stories of clients who were seeking political refugee status. After hearing how these people were treated, I couldn't help but to dedicate my career to helping them build safe lives in the U.S."

Now, we've opened a door. If the woman has any sense of curiosity or compassion, she'll want to hear some of these stories. And more about what he does.

And now... there's a door to the interesting, and fulfilling emotional experience that most profiles don't provide. And you haven't provided a woman with a sense of, "I've worked hard in my career, so now you owe me."

More tomorrow.

No comments: