Friday, May 30, 2008

Building your virtual weekend

Staying on the theme of why it's important not to make your profile a list of your qualifications... Another spot where men tend to make this mistake is when eHarmony asks you to describe how you spend your spare time.

This is a point where most men provide a sterile and somewhat random list of "things they like to do". Essentially, trying to provide a huge list that a woman might find something in common with.

Again, better profiles don't seek approval. They draw a woman into understanding what it might be like to spend time with you.

For example, a typical profile might read, "I like to go to movies, hang around with friends, ride my Harley-Davidson, and play cards."

A better way? "The perfect weekend for me would be out on the road on my Harley, taking in the feeling as the wind rushes by and the highway unfolds. To top it off, I'd meet up with my other buddies at [the name of an out of the way bar] - folks that I've known for so long, we complete each other's sentences."

Again, there's no sense that he's seeking approval. He's describing how he likes to spend his weekend. And, if a woman's sharp, she'll have lots of questions to ask - about his friends, and places he's been.

We'll bring this into the first few dates next week...

No comments: