Monday, February 25, 2008

Anatomy of a Scam - The Scammer's Profile

One of my members recently sent me an email, giving a blow-by-blow account of an eHarmony scammer's attempt to seduce him out of his money.

I've seen these attempts before. But, I figured that these might make for some interesting blog posts, for three important reasons.

First of all - you should learn to recognize them. So you can waste only as much time as you want to with them. If any "woman" (and I'll put that in quotes because their gender isn't a certain thing...) uses these techniques, you'll know better than to send money. Or give her an email address that would inconvenience you if it got choked with spam.

Secondly... you can learn a few things from scammers. They make a living by doing this. So, either they're starving, or they're using some techniques that work. And these techniques can be used for good purposes - not just for bilking money from the desperate.

And, finally, as a lesson in learning how conventional beauty can make some guys do very stupid things.

So... let's do the blow-by-blow, shall we?

The Profile

The profile's most outstanding point... was the picture. Bottom-line? The photo was of a drop-dead gorgeous woman. I'd publish it here - but I'd hate to defame the (real) woman.

Everything else? Well, she did a few things right. Which is enough, if a woman has a hot enough picture. Here's the profile...

Occupation: Temporary Unemployed
Age: 28
Height: 5' 5"
Ethnicity: Native American
The one thing Susan is most passionate about:

* To find someone special in my life for us to build a trust..

The three things which Susan is most thankful for:

* My Aunt
* My Life
* My Home

Susan's friends describe her as:

* Caring
* Passionate
* Thoughtful
* Romantic

Three of Susan's best life-skills are:

* Creating romance in a relationship
* Cooking for my family and friends
* Finding new adventures and unique experiences

The most important thing Susan is looking for in a person is:

* Someone Honest, Caring and Loving.

The first thing you'll probably notice about Susan when you meet her:

* My Smile

Susan typically spends her leisure time:

* I enjoying going to beach I enjoying going to the cinema or a theater Going to a garden with someone special

There's a lot wrong here. She's not even familiar enough with American culture or language to use good grammar. Or to know that "Native American" does not mean "born in America." (The picture was of a Caucasian woman.)

But, a few things were right.

She didn't provide much detail. Just enough to get a susceptible man's attention with her pictures. And only says a few things. Just enough to build up some potential for mirroring.

However, guys should avoid lines like, "Going to the beach". Women see that line from a mile away. And women usually aren't as swayed by pretty pictures alone.

So, that's the profile. The pitch? That's tomorrow.

No comments: