Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Anatomy of a scam - The messages

So, she's hooked a hapless, mirror-hungry guy with a great photo and some vague prose. How does our scammer start her approach?

She starts with a fast track:

Subject: "Hi email me"

"My name is Susan Johnson from Seattle ,WA, i likeswimming,playing golf,traveling,camping,watchingmovies,listening to music,,i am nice and loving womanwho is looking for someone to love and he would loveme back and i am willing to relocate when i find theright person for me,i saw your profile and i reallyliked it and it interests me alot,if you want to knowanything about me just ask i would be very much happyto tell you.i just signed on for a couple of weekshere and my subscription would be off that why i hadto include my email so we can still get to contact each other if amoff here.you can mail me back on it
xxxxxxx@yahoo.com"

Clearly, English is not this woman's strong suit. But she does do a few things right. She starts with a list of hobbies that almost anyone will find something in common with (a kinship trick.) She amplifies the fact that she's ready to mirror her "special guy" - she indicates that she's interested in his profile, and she's looking for someone to "love and have... love me back", indicating that she'd relocate to be with someone like that. And, finally, she justifies going to email.

Of course, these lines will only work on the mildly desparate - the people who are most desperate for mirroring. For a woman of even average self-esteem, a guy who said these things would be labelled as desperately sucking up.

And, she left a rather vague request for a response. Which is good, because she probably cuts and pastes her next letter (no matter what is asked)...

Hi I am pleased to meet you. I sent you something about me because ithink we both have lot in common. I come from seattle.WA UnitedStates . I have been living in United Kingdom for 14 years now aftermy parents past away,I presently stay with my aunt here in Uk shemoved to Uk after meeting her husband at eharmony so she registered meon eharmony for a trial she has been there for me through the ruffand tough times in my life. I became a Uk citizen in February 2004. Iam a multifaceted individual, well bred, educated as a respectful anddecent woman in a good family. I have a close girl friend that stayssome block from my home ... she is everything i have got. Nature hassent me a message to start a family, and I am following the instinct.I have resolved to find a suitable decent man for that purpose. I ammature and responsible. Loyal and honest to the core. Hold no baggagefrom the past. The past brings always brings me pleasant memories. Ido not have unresolved issues and load at my prior experiences in lifebecause I probably learned something from them. I believe that life isan endless learning experience that ends when we breath for the lasttime. I certainly do not know what is beyond that point. Believe mewhen I say I would be honored to learn more about you. I have chosento communicate with you for a very specific reason, and not only foryour nice looks. I admit that I like cute and good looking bloke, butif it is not a complete package of body, mind, and spirit, there isnot much you can do for me. If this sounds cocky is only by chance. Iam not a Hollywood woman, that is for sure. I am a well educated, wellmannered person, which I definitely appreciate in a man as well. Ilike intelligent, and natural men. I like men with an inner world.Attractions that fall beyond my control are architects, piano players(or any other instrument), and men that know about massage.Tell memore about you. Anything. What ever comes to your mind. Tell me whatdo you expect from me, or from our correspondence. attached are few ofmy pic you can send some of yours
Yours,
Susan

Okay. So, the guy showed some interest by responding outside of eHarmony. He's showing some interest. Now, she does a few things...

First, she explains away her UK English. Which would be okay... if she wrote good UK English. (Many better scammers do.) And she also grounds the fact that she's in the UK to take care of her ill trusted friend. (Which, later, is used to justify a request for money.)

Next, for the first time, she sets forth why she's a good catch, other than just her looks. She's set forth a laundry list of desirable (but somewhat vague) attributes... just enough to indicate some interest in the guy.

Next, she tries (somewhat vaguely) to target some reason why the guy is special. This would be much better if she read the guy's profile, and targeted it to him... but, my guess is her command of the english language prevents it. So, even though this is pretty weak, it may have to be "good enough". (In PUA circles, this would be considered a "cold read". I prefer warmer reads, when they're possible.)

Finally, she sets forth her (again, somewhat vague) standards, and asks the guy to qualify for her attention.

Further putting him in the position of making an effort to meet this woman.

I won't publish the actual request for money - it gives scammers a little bit too much information on how to set a scam up. But, you realize now that, after a guy has spent significant time qualifying for this "dream woman", how it's now harder to turn away from her request for help.

And that's the setup... and the pitch.

Again, it's not all that good. But, with a little customization and better English... there are some solid fundamentals here. And those fundamentals can be used for good - not just evil.

No comments: