Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Managing "Hot or Not" score drift

Again, returning to the popular subject of rating your pictures on "Hot or Not"...

Another problem that I've seen with this site is that scores, occasionally, will drift.

Sometimes, the crowd is stricter, and gives lower scores.

Other times, the crowd is easier.

I'm not blaming Hot or Not for this - mob psychology could explain this easily.

But it does raise the question - how can you compare the ratings you get today with the ratings you recieved on other pictures a few months ago?

Well, here's how I manage the "drift" problem.

You'll notice that you can keep up to three photos in an unpaid account.

I make sure that one of these photos is the worst-rated photo that I'm currently using.

As scores drift... the score on my archived photo will drift too.

Problem (kinda) solved.

It's an imperfect system. But, as far as coming up with an objective measurement of attractiveness goes, it'll have to do. At least until someone fixes the Helen scale.

No comments: