Friday, May 25, 2007

War story: An imperfect profile, but...

As faithful readers will know, I met my last long-term girlfriend through eHarmony.

So, you're probably wondering... what was her profile like, if it attracted my attention?

Actually, it was pretty flawed.

First off: Her pictures weren't very flattering. There was a webcam closeup, and a distant photo of her nearly at the finish of a triathalon. Neither photo looked particularly flattering.

And, yes, there were a few faults that she admitted to in her profile.

But, then, I thought for awhile.

When I started on eHarmony, my results were pretty poor. It wasn't because I'm an unattractive person, it was because I made a lot of mistakes in how I presented myself.

In short... she was making the same mistakes that I did when I started.

Anyway, I saw that we had a few things in common. I saw that she was a triathelete, so she must be, at least, in pretty decent shape. And, in all, despite the profile's flaws, I decided to give her a chance.

And, of course, when I met her, I discovered that she overstated her personality faults... and she looked a lot better than her photos. And we got along well. Overall - no regrets.

Lesson? Don't throw matches away for making the same mistakes that you made.

When I return on Monday - red flags to watch for.

No comments: