Monday, November 19, 2007

Wink, wink, (photo) nudge...

Before I give my advice on using eHarmony's (sort of) new Photo Nudge system, let me explain my rationale:

As I've mentioned before, I need to cast a pretty wide geographic net for my matches. So, I've got a good number of reasons why I won't meet a woman without seeing her picture. Among these?

  • They're a sign that she's taking the process seriously. If a woman isn't going to take a picture, scan it, and post it... I can't see her getting involved with a guy when there's travel involved.
  • It's a test of honesty. And a woman who claims that she's unable to post photos isn't being honest. These days, it's hard to buy a cell phone that DOESN'T have a camera. And if she doesn't have one, it's impossible to believe that she has no friends that do. (And if that IS the case... there's probably a reason she has no friends.) And photo scanners are available in in most drugstores, public libraries, and copy shops.
  • It reassures me that the person on the other end isn't a scammer.
  • And, yes, I really think it's better for everyone involved if I take one look at the photo, say, "No way!", and close her. It leaves us both more free time to pursue our lives (and other matches).
So, no. I don't meet women who refuse to provide photos.

So, how do I manage the "photo nudge"? Here's how:
  • She's hiding her photo? So am I. Fair's fair.
  • Multiple-choice questions and sending my (pre-existing) Must Have's/Can't Stands lists take almost no effort. I'll do that.
  • In open-ended questioning, I'll reveal my photo, even if she hasn't.
  • When she sends her open-ended questions, I'll reply with a photo nudge.
  • I don't answer her questions until she has photos. And I close in a week if she's unresponsive.
Obviously, this only works in guided communication. Past posts indicate how I manage "no photos" in fast-track or open communication.

It's simple, it's fair, and it doesn't make you look like a jerk OR a pushover. So... I like it.

No comments: