Wednesday, June 27, 2007

How do you know when your profile works?

Okay, you've tuned your profile, and you think it's intriguing.

How do you know if it's really working?

Back when I beta-tested the eHarmony Cracked system, I devised something that I call the "One week test."

Basically, put your profile up for a week. Get new matches coming in. (At that time, I told them to log in daily and request matches. Today, I'd tell them to run the eHarmony Blog Script.) But don't initiate communication with anyone.

At the end of the week, see what percentage of women initiated contact on their own.

My beta-testers were experienced online daters, who were becoming quite successful on other sites. Before they received any instruction from me, their percentages ran into the 10% range.

When they started to follow my profile building advice, percentages ran into the 50-70% range.

So... if you're really wondering whether your "hooks" are doing the job... run this test. Then, you'll know.

3 comments:

Uncle Fester said...

50-70%??? I don't buy that. I'm pretty sure that at least 50% of my matches are dead profiles.

Even though my membership is ending and I'm going to take some time off, I'm going to email my profile to you. While I'm much happier with my profile and my general attitude since finding this site, the percentage of matches that I can get into any sort of communication at all remains well under 10%. About half initiated by me and the other half initiated by the matches.

Scott Grey said...

I was surprised as well. But I don't think they were lying.

If you want to look at "opening percentage", I looked at my list since I've restarted. My opening percentage has been running at about 20%.

And I had a ton of handicaps. Most of my matches live 2-3 hours drive away. And probably have suitable matches living closer to them. I closed a lot of people before opening them, and counted these as failed opens. And, in the beginning, I was in a bad mental state - I probably did reenter the scene too early after I broke up with my last girlfriend.

All of the sudden, 50% (for people using more "normal" search criteria) isn't looking THAT unrealistic.

Uncle Fester said...

I've had 291 matches. All from within my large metro area. Not sure how many I closed without trying to communicate, or even waiting to see if they showed signs of being active. Or, how many closed me without communicating, and what reasons they gave. I should total these up.

I have communicated with 25 matches:

I initiated: 12
- 1 meeting.
- 1 completed 1st Q&A today, in my answers I included a note that I'm about to expire and an email address.
- 5 never replied, probably never read the questions - dead profiles
- 1 closed me immediately.
- 1 was closed by me at 2nd Questions for non-response, she asked to be reopened, I had to Nudge to get her 2nd Answers, and she wouldn't start OC so I closed her again.
- 1 was closed by me during OC, she sent a work phone number, I wrote that I don't do eHarmony at work and she never replied
- 1 closed me during OC ("I have too much going on" after a month of OC)
- 1 was closed by me after she sent an "incompatibilty list" as her first OC, I suggested we pursue it further but she did not reply.


They initiated: 13
- 4 were closed by me immediately.
- 2 never replied to my 1st Answers, I closed for non-response.
- 3 were holding back on sharing pictures. I closed one (she replied "good luck" instead of sharing) and the other 2 closed me after I put them on Hold.
- 1 never replied to my first OC, I closed for non-response.
- 1 never replied to my first OC, she closed "I am pursuing another."
- 1 got to OC but seemed to have a ton of issues, I closed her.
- 1 still in OC.