Thursday, June 26, 2008

An alternative path to profile building?

If you're not subscribed to our Google Group, you're really missing out. Because I'm not the only guy who's trying new things on eHarmony.

For example, one recent member described how he took a totally different approach to the "About me" section than I suggest.

First of all? He used good-quality photos. All of them had been rated on Hot or Not as 8 or above. He hasn't shared the pictures with me, but has reassured me that they're otherwise unexceptional - they don't have him in front of things that he enjoys, they aren't in interesting locations, he's not doing anything particularly noteworthy. All the pictures do is show that he's a good lookin' guy.

In the profile text? It was extremely vague and short. It didn't have any "red flags". And it didn't have anything particularly interesting either. It looked like he didn't put much effort into it. Clearly, the only attractive feature here... was that he was an attractive guy.

Again, this is an approach that I'd have predicted would not have worked well. But he says that he's getting about a 25% response rate to requests for communication. About the same rate as me.

I still put myself a little bit ahead of him - most of my matches live 3 hours away from me. But, if he's not trying to pull a fast one on all of us, this seems like it might work better than I thought it would.

If you try this approach... let me know how it works. I'd love to hear how it works for some other folks.

No comments: