Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Shifting frames in the long-term relationship

From reading comments and discussions on the Google Group, it looks like my model of long-term relationships is an idea that's starting to take off.

That was a long series. And, in looking back, I've pointed out the signs to look for in the stages of a long-term relationship.

What I didn't explain, however, are the mental attitudes that facilitate progression to the next level.

In this blog, I've repeatedly pointed out that relationships don't advance when you try too hard to advance the agenda. And they advance when a woman feels that she has to work for the result.

Now, obviously, if you're in Phase 4, a woman shouldn't have to feel nervous about whether there's chemistry between the two of you. But she should feel nervous about whether the two of you can work out your conflicts.

So, what are the proper challenging mindsets for the the relationship phases that I've proposed?

Here we go:

Phase 0: "Hey, speedy. I haven't even decided if I like you yet. Why don't we get together first?"

Phase 1: "You might make a decent friend... I don't know if there's chemistry yet, but you seem nice..."

Phase 2: "We've got chemistry... but I'm not really sure if I can share myself with you yet."

Phase 3: "You seem okay... so far. But I'm still not really sure about you. Time will tell."

Phase 4: "Okay, we're getting real now. Let's see what happens."

Endgame: "We're good together. Let's see what we need to do to make it work."

No comments: