Thursday, February 15, 2007

It's a profile. Not a confession.

Let's take a look at two other profile questions:

"What is the ONE thing that people DON'T notice about you right away that you WISH they would?"
"Describe one thing about yourself that only your best friends know."

A lot of people take these questions as a golden opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot. They display their insecurities, and hope that a woman will accept them in all of their craziness.

Hey, I'm all for craziness. I'm as flawed as everyone else. It's part of what makes us human.

But the eHarmony profile is not a place to expose your weaknesses.

"But, shouldn't I be honest?"

Absolutely. But a profile isn't meant to sum up everything in your life. That would be an impossible task. Your profile is there to say what is interesting about you.

If you try to use it as a confessional, it doesn't make you look attractive.

So, what are some better ways to answer these questions?

For the first, "The one thing that people don't notice about you right away", I like to respond in one sentence. One format that works well is, "Because I'm (what I wrote as the first thing people notice), people don't notice that I'm also (another positive quality congruent with the rest of the profile.)"

In "Describe one thing about yourself that only your best friends know", say something about yourself that's quirky, but endearing. Don't sell yourself with this statement, just try to make yourself look human. Choose something about yourself that's a little bit off-the-wall, but would not be considered a dealkiller. "I've got a serious Starbuck's addiction. My friends are threatening to have an intervention." "I still have Hootie and the Blowfish on my iPod." "I still play 'slugbug' with my little brother". You get the idea. Have fun with this one.

No comments: