Friday, February 9, 2007

Filling "Your Matches"

One of the difficulties that a person can have with eHarmony is that the process of finding new matches can be slow. People may wonder, is there any way to get more matches?

Unfortunately, I don't have any special access to eHarmony's algorithms. I doubt they'd provide them to me if I asked. However, I do have some suspicions...

For one, I've noticed that I get more matches when my list is emptier. So, I make an effort to get rid of (likely) unproductive matches quickly. If I get a match with no photo and minimal answers to the "about me" questions, I'll usually close them, with the statement that their answers were too vague. Many people log into eHarmony every day, take the test, and, after seeing the price of the service, decide it's not for them. If they're not going to respond... I don't want them taking valuable space. And I figure that, if I was wrong, they might send me a final message.

As for when to get rid of "real" matches... that will vary greatly on how busy you are, and how promising the match is. If a match seems promising, I'll usually use the "Nudge" feature in a week. If they don't respond a few days after that, I'll usually close them. Granted, some members go on vacations for extended periods, but these are rare. The vast majority of the time, a person who doesn't respond in that time frame wasn't intrigued enough to make a response. And it's time to move on. (And, yes, these people can leave final messages as well...)

Next, it does pay to request new matches. I would do this at least once daily. Sequential requests have never been productive for me. I would wait several hours before making a second request, if I chose to do so. Don't bother requesting more, though, if you've recieved 5 new matches that day. The computer will give you no more than that.

No comments: