Monday, February 26, 2007

I'm putting my money where my mouth is!

There are a lot of websites, books, and devices out there designed to help people meet women online. Most of 'em are pretty bad, but I've learned from some of them.

There's one thing that none of these resources do, though.

At best, these "experts" will sometimes trumpet their success stories.

But they never let you know exactly how good they really are.

I can't say as I blame them. After all, if your percentage wasn't really impressive, people might decide not to buy your product, right?

Well... if you haven't noticed... I'm not making money here. (If I was preparing for a commercial release, I'd be giving away way too much of my material.) So... I think you deserve the truth.

And if you can prove to me that you can do better... you've got my attention. I'll start listening to your advice.

So, I'm putting up a weekly "War Journal". Starting now.

First of all, I'm running my search with a big handicap. I'm Jewish, and will only consider dating someone who is also Jewish. (And, for those who don't know... in online services, the only services with a decent Jewish population are jdate.com and eHarmony.) I live in a small city with a low Jewish population... so most of my matches will involve long-distance meetings.

I reopened my account on Saturday... how am I doing so far?

Old matches
Three old matches were "left over". (They didn't close me after I told them that I was seeking another relationship.)

I never initiated contact with two of those women. I reopened them, and sent my first questions. Neither has responded. (I suspect they're inactive... but let's see.)

One was in open communication. I sent her a message, and she's already responded. Seems enthusiastic, and I'll probably try to make phone contact this week. I'll keep you posted on this one.

Matches who I closed
8 matches would entail a drive over 4 hours one way. In my book, this prevents us from getting to know each other. I closed these matches.

One was a 3 hour drive away, but she's a medical resident. I figure that there's no way she'd have time to get to know someone in a long-distance relationship, so I closed.

One was a 3 hour drive away, but she's a graduate student. Sorry... but I exclude people from the dating pool who haven't lived on their own outside of school. I closed this one.

Matches who closed me
Only one so far. She's a 3 hour drive, and employed as a college professor. She said that the distance was too far. Her job probably isn't the slightest bit portable... so I don't blame her.

Started communication
One was actually less than an hour away. Unfortunately, there's no photo, and minimal entries in "About me". I suspect she's not serious... but, given that short drive, I'll leave her open for a bit.

Three others are a two hour drive away. I initiated communication, but no response so far.

In "open", but communication not initiated
There are three matches that are a little longer than a three hour drive. Otherwise, looking promising... but that drive looks harsh. I'll keep 'em on the side for now.

I'll give you updates every Monday...

P.S. You notice that I call it "meeting women online". I refuse to call it "online dating". Getting information about someone over the internet is not a date, in my opinion...

No comments: