Thursday, February 22, 2007

Hey! What're YOU doing?

I've held off on discussing this section of the eHarmony profile, because most people do okay with it.

I said "okay". I didn't say they did well. Just okay.

The question is: "How do you typically spend your leisure time?"

I'd rephrase this question. A better way to phrase this question would be, "What things do you do that make you fun to be with?"

Well, first of all, almost no one can describe all of the interesting things that they do in such a limited space. So... don't be afraid to say that in the essay.

And everyone has a different definition of "fun". Use yours.

Remember when I talked about "headlights"? Tell them enough about your interests to be intriguing, but not so much that you tell the whole story. Make them want to ask questions about what you do. And, maybe a little excited about the possibility of joining you.

Another thing that you can do to separate yourself from the pack, is to avoid responding with the cliched, "I like to" (the rest of the list goes here). You want to write in a way that helps her draw herself into the picture. Saying things like "You'll find me/ see me" forces her to enter (and hopefully enjoy) your world.

So... bring her for a quick ride in your world. Just enough to whet her appetite.

No comments: