Thursday, December 6, 2007

Mental attribute #2: Relationships aren't forced.

Next on our list of attributes that enhance both initial attraction and the ability to engage in a long-term relationship, is one that will, as a bonus, save you a lot of mental effort and energy.

And, before I describe it, let me give you an example.

I was at a Jewish fellowship event, and an attractive woman was sitting next to me. We easily engaged in conversation for awhile, and she was displaying a lot of signs of interest. (Gaze, hair flipping, qualifying herself, and so forth.)

Suddenly, conversation hit a lull.

We've all been there. That awkward moment, where people start to ask, "What should I say now?" And usually end up saying something stupid.

I did something different. I thought to myself, "Hmm... she's not keeping up conversation. That's unusual. She might be kinda boring."

And, I turned to other guys at the table, and engaged them in the conversation.

Yeah, she jumped. And quickly restarted the conversation, in a way that would draw me back in.

And that comes to my next point about a healthy mental frame.

Healthy men do not feel that they need to ride "success" on any particular woman.

If the levels of attraction, interest, and chemistry aren't there... that's fine.

If you come into a relationship roadblock that can't work out... that's fine too.

I'm not saying that good relationships will never have conflicts. But "force-fits" shouldn't be necessary.

And if you're not feeling it working... moving a woman off your list IS progress.

And, believe me, women find it refreshing when a man isn't bending over backwards to get a woman into their life.

And they like rising to the challenge.

(And, yes, the woman gave me her phone number. Too bad for her that my girlfriend moved faster...)

No comments: