Tuesday, September 4, 2007

From the labs: The "Stage 3" connection

As I've noted before, things are changing on eHarmony. The advertising "push" lately has been more on "easy compatability and chemistry", with less emphasis on marriage.

And, although I've mentioned that I still think they're overselling... it is an improvement. But technique does have to change in light of the changing nature of eHarmony's memebers.

For example, a year ago, my phase three questions focused upon relationships - asking women to be specific about who they were looking for, how they felt when they were with someone "right", and what they had to offer.

And, a year ago, these topics were dead-on. Because people subscribed to eHarmony in order to fulfill these promises.

Today - that just ain't so. While people responded eagerly and enthusiastically to these questions before... now, they think it's too picky. Or putting the cart before the horse.

So... that reliable saw isn't working any more. So, what are some better ways to engage your target?

It takes a lot more personalization... but it's possible. And I'll go through some new techniques that are showing some promise over the next few days.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you're putting too much importance on eharmony's advertising. I didn't even notice it was different until you said something. Sure, they may have changed their pitch, but I don't think it follows that current members signed up BECAUSE of that change. Eharmony is still the 'relationship' dating site.

Scott Grey said...

Actually, my "change" theory came about AFTER discovering that "relationship-based" phase 3 questions weren't working as well as they used to. Not before.

Could I be overreading a run of bad luck? Maybe - but I don't think so.

And if you don't think that people really catch these subtle changes in advertising... I'll have a post up soon that might change your mind.