Friday, September 7, 2007

Accept it: The ads influence us.

A lot of you have been following my latest experiments - suggesting changes to the eHarmony Cracked system in response to eHarmony's subtle changes in their advertising strategy.

A few people are expressing skepticism. Clearly, the changes in their advertising strategy have been subtle. Can they really make that much of a difference?

First of all, a confession. At first, I didn't recognize the changes, myself. Until I noticed that my standard phase three questions just weren't effective as they used to be. Which either means that I've had a run of very bad luck... or the audience changed, and the questions didn't connect with them like they used to. It was only then that I realized that the advertising message changed.

But do these subtle changes actually influence people's behavior?

Here's another confession: I was an amateur psychology geek before I discovered the seduction community. And, although I could bury everyone in (what they'd probably see as) dull journal articles and book chapters... I'm going to do something different.

Instead of reading the research... watch this video. And see if you still think that advertising doesn't influence our behavior.



Maryann says:

Excellent video, thanks. It makes me wonder in what ways we manipulate each other without meaning to or knowing? It also explains why learning how to work within eHarmony makes such a difference in our results. The eH clientele are different than those on other sites, and understanding something of what they are looking for makes such a difference. It really is not enough to "just be yourself," or to "play it" like the pick up community. You need to educate yourself on what works and why, what not to fall for, and why, etc. This "falling in love for all the right reasons" business takes skill!

No comments: