Tuesday, September 23, 2008

When the camera adds a few pounds...

Okay, folks. There's a good reason that I advocate taking tons of pictures, to find the one or two that will make you look good on eHarmony.

Because I really need to do that, myself.

As a guy, I'm in pretty decent shape. I used to be clinically obese, but I've lost over 60 pounds and kept it off for years. I work out a lot. I watch what I eat. A lot of my friends will spontaneously tell me that I need to eat more. And according to medical tables, I'm not overweight.

But, somehow... pictures still seem to show a pot-belly.

Just like most people, I'm just not terribly photogenic.

Now, we could go back to the same camera tricks that women use to hide their weight - but, as I've always pointed out, deceptive photos will kill any potential interest on the date.

But, if it's really a case of the camera adding a few pounds - here are some ways to fix that.

Use perceptual contrast

Photos where I'm standing alone make me look pretty big.

But, when I'm photographed with other people, it doesn't just make me look social.

Now, there's a frame of reference. And, considering that I'm in better shape than the average American (not that that says much), I look a lot more normal.

Heck, when I'm in photos with friends that I consider skinny, I still look better than if I stood alone.

Perspective helps.

Use "rejected photos" as a fashion guide
Over time, you may notice that certain fashion styles work better with you.

For me - tight clothing does accentuate assets, but only to a point. And photos will remind me when I'm going too far.

I've also noticed that, for me, clothing that is particularly dark (black, for example), or brightly colored can also work very well for me.

So, 'ya see... there are some other advantages to taking a ton of pictures.

Go ahead and crop... to a point.
Finally, if there's a photo where you look good from the shoulders-up, don't be afraid to crop the photo.

But don't go crazy with this. You really need to have one or two full-body shots.

If all of your photos look like you've cropped your body out... women aren't stupid.

Better to be honest and confident than sneaky and ashamed.

No comments: