Tuesday, January 15, 2008

She doesn't want a relationship? Is she nuts?

One of the things I'm noticing on our one year anniversary is that our readers are facing different struggles than they faced a year ago.

A year ago? The most common complaint was, "I can't get the date."

Now? The most common problem seems to be in the transition from "first dates" to "a relationship".

In some ways, I'm pretty happy about this. It means that people are benefiting from the advice I've given on the online portion of the game.

The bad news? Now we've got another layer of problems.

So, let's go after this layer.

How does this "sticking point" usually manifest itself?

It comes when you've piqued her interest enough in order to get the date. You meet. You have a decent time, you find things that you have in common.

But she starts to freak out about being "in a relationship" with you.

Is she NUTS?

Maybe. But a little nuttiness is to be expected from most women.

In fact, I prefer not to call it "being nuts". I call it ambivalence.

The fact is, if you're on a date (or a few dates) and having a good time, she's seeing some possibilities, if she's at all relationship-minded.

But she's still not sure. She's certainly not ready to think about things like moving in, marriage, children, and so forth. Not after one or two dates. Probably not after months.

The biggest trouble? When you take an ambivalent woman, and you combine that with a man who's infatuated and implying, "I really want this to be forever"... most normal women will freak.

So, how do you reduce healthy freakouts?

I'll talk about that in the next few articles.

2 comments:

Pilgrim said...

Good idea for some more in-depth study - I'll be interested to read your thoughts on this scenario tomorrow.

Rosalyn said...

It means that there are some red flags that she's considering. ie she's not sure and not that into you. I call it the ebb and flow of life...since it could be vice versa and the woman could be totally into the guy but the guy not so. It's good to tone it down to some normalcy since I think in any relationship it's rare to be on the same plane at any point in time... Don't put the cart before the horse. Just my 2bits worth from a woman's point of view.