Monday, January 7, 2008

Reflections from the bald head...

A long time ago, when I was first out of college, I entered the job search, not really knowing what I wanted or where I was headed. But, I knew that I had to sort things out, and a friend recommended the classic book, "What Color Is Your Parachute"?

One section that stuck out for me - even when it didn't refer to my specific problems - was it's suggestion for people who had things in their background that they couldn't control. Like the fact that they were physically handicapped. Or had a criminal record.

The book's advice was very straightforward and direct. It told the potential jobseeker that there, in essence, were two types of employers: Those that would hire someone with their "problem", and those that wouldn't.

If they were one of the ones that wouldn't? Ask if they know anyone who would be interested in hiring someone like them, and end the interview quickly.

In one of my recent emails, one of my readers asked how I approached dating considering my own male pattern baldness.

I approached it pretty much the same way. Some women aren't going to be attracted to a bald guy. And that's fine. It gives me more time to spend one the ones that can.

But... after looking at some of my latest pictures (and the last vestiges of my hairline), I decided to shave off the rest of my hair.

No, I didn't do it to impress women. I did it because I thought I might look better.

And, I figure at least some of you are curious about how it's affected the online game.

Well, before I go into personal experience, I do have to mention that "Freakanomics" did cite a study where male pattern baldness was associated with poorer results online, but shaved heads were not. I haven't read the original article, but I certainly have a lot of questions. (Maybe it's because people who shave their heads pay more attention to how "fashionable" they are? Or they're more confident? I don't know.)

So... what's my experience?

Well, no one stopped communication when I told them about my new look. I was actually kind of prepared for that. Turned out not to be a problem. Also, I tested my pictures on Hot or Not, and my ratings improved significantly.

But, for me, the most interesting changes were in real life.

Before the head-shave, pre-communication closures for lack of chemistry were rare. However, they increased significantly after the head shave.

But... of the ones who did respond? They were a lot more enthusiastic.

So, my final guess? I think that shaving my head just "turned up the volume" on women's reactions to my baldness. The women who found the bald head sexy, liked it. And the ones that didn't... really didn't.

In my opinion? I like the change. I'm keeping it. And, if things don't work out with my girlfriend, I know that there are plenty of women who like it.

No comments: