Friday, October 19, 2007

From the Labs: Past lab entries, revisited.

Experimentation is an ongoing thing. And, in my "from the labs" entries, I report on promising, but unverified techniques to give people an edge on eHarmony.

Some of those techniques become a part of our community lore.

Others... just don't withstand the test of time.

And I think it's time to revisit some of these lab entries.

Will editing your profile provide more matches?
In my blog's earliest days, one reader observed that, after editing his profile (in minor ways), and requesting matches... he'd get more.

Unfortunately, I think he just got lucky. Repeated requests will often result in recieving more matches. But neither I (nor anyone else) has been able to verify that editing your profile will provide you with more matches.

I count this finding "dead".

What about the eHarmony Blog script?
The eHarmony blog script is an automated script designed to request new matches every 10 minutes. Presumably, by making repeated requests, you'll get more matches.

In the beginning, this seemed to work. Soon after running it, people usually got more matches.

The long-term effects, however, have been called into question in our google group.

Based on my experience in alternating use of the script, it does not seem to actually generate new matches. However, when a match is made, it will appear on your list sooner, rather than later.

It still provides some time advantage, and that can be helpful. It's better to be eighth guy that a woman is being introduced to, rather than the twenty-eighth. But I've been unable to prove that it produces more matches than you'd get if you logged in three times daily and requested matches.

On the Thursday Night Purge
At one time, I noticed that I, predictably, got new matches on Fridays, and very few from Monday-Thursday.

Unfortunately, it seems like I'm the only person who noticed this.

And, in the last few months... that pattern has seemed to stop.

This technique is dead, Jim.

... More updates as they happen, folks! Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: