Wednesday, April 16, 2008

War Story: Teasin' done right.

One common question that people ask when they're new to meeting women online is, "What do you do when someone isn't giving you anything to write about?"

Well, if they're giving me absolutely NOTHING... she probably isn't worth the effort.

But if her effort is waning... sometimes they need a little kick in the pants.

Recently, one woman who had a pretty intriguing profile, and seemed pretty engaged in the guided comminication questioning wrote me a first message that fell flat:

"Hi, Scott! I'm new to this. What do we do now?"


That seemed strange. She seemed pretty expressive before. In spite of the fact that she went by her first initial, rather than her full name.

It's time to take the lead. But, I felt like teasing her a little... Here's my response.

Hi, [First intial] (fill in the rest of your name here)! Nice to meet you.

What do we do now? Good question.

On one hand, you've got an interesting first page. A few things did catch my eye...

And those open-ended questions? Impressive. Very intuitive.

But, then, you write a first message, and don't even say, "Nice to meet you"? Or even tell me your name?

Hee hee... Just teasin'. It's okay. ;-)

Tell 'ya what - if you impress me with your next message, we can try talking on the phone like normal folks.

Need a topic? Here are some ideas - pick and choose, or make up your own:

[questions inserted here]

Hope to hear more from you soon...

- Scott

Yes, she responded pretty enthusiastically.

Don't get me wrong here: This isn't a template that you can copy, paste, and use on everyone. I imagine it would probably cause a lot of blowouts. Items from our earlier interaction made me believe that she'd take it well. I had fun writing it. And I doubt she'll see another message like it.

But, it gives you an idea of how to set someone up for a good teasing.

No comments: