Tuesday, April 29, 2008

In your profile? Don't break the fourth wall.

One technique that I've explained in the past is the idea of easing tension about the meetup.

As I've practiced this before, I always did this during my first phone call. Essentially, during the phone call, I let her know that I've met a few women on eHarmony, that "chemistry" doesn't always happen, and that, if it doesn't, she seems like she'd make a good friend.

Recently, I experimented with placing statements like this in my profile.

Unfortunately, this experiment did not go well. Response rate went down slightly - although this may have been due to chance.

However, levels of excitement and interest on the phone dropped. Dramatically.

In a way, I used a technique from theater, called "breaking the fourth wall". These are the times, during a movie or theatrical performance, where the actors remind the audience that they're viewing a scripted performance, instead of immersing themselves in the fantasy world of the show.

Used as an occasional, rare, jarring moment - it can be effective. If you use it too much, though, you miss the point of going to the show - which was to immerse yourself in the writer's world for an hour or two.

And, in retrospect, breaking the fantasy in the profile is doing it much too early.

So, give her the go-ahead. Let her build romantic castles in the sky for awhile. And only break it to release the fear that it may break anyway.

Oh well. That's why I do these experiments. :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Scott, I agree, and I'll take it a step furthur. The third wall should never be broken, period. It's shocking enough when you break the fourth wall to reveal part of the magic show, but to then break the third wall, disrupt the space-time continuum, and revert back to 2 dimensions? I don't think many people could handle that. So, to summarize, it's good to occassionally break the fourth wall, but the third is strictly off limits. :)

Scott Grey said...

Sigh. I need more coffee.

Thanks, Gratuitous. I've made my edits...

By the way, breaking the third wall would just create a somewhat open-air performance. (No wall in the back of the room? Or the side?) It might be okay - and the structure of time and space would survive just fine.

But I digress. I meant to talk about the fourth wall. :-)

The Most Awesome Guy In The Universe said...

Can't agree enough with you, Scott.

eHarmony sells a fantasy, of meeting the perfect match for you and you alone. I'm currently in open communication with four women - two of whom I have met in person and we've scheduled things to do in the future. Have I mentioned anything other than romantic interest in them?

No.

Have I mentioned the possibility that they might lose out to someone else that I am seeing?

No.

Basically, until such point that I make my decision one way or the other, I conduct myself in a way that says "I am interested in you. There is no other."</jeditrick> One lucky winner doesn't get the trick to end. ;)