Monday, April 21, 2008

War story: The REAL eHarmony nightmare...

When it comes down to it, online "dating" is the process of meeting complete strangers. And eHarmony is no exception.

The good thing about meeting strangers is - you meet interesting, new people.

The bad thing about meeting strangers is - you're going to meet some people who might be a little scary.

Some people blame eHarmony for nightmares like this. I don't. If they screened every single person who used the service... no one could use it.

But, when you do use it... you have to be prepared.

So... here's a recent horror story with one of my matches.

Things start pretty routinely. She seemed like an attractive woman, and had an interesting, well-written profile. The first open communication messages fly by... it's all fun.

On the phone - things get kind of tense. Things feel a little off. She seems a lot more guarded than her emails. And, in contrast, seemed really tense.

I gave her the benefit of the doubt - I suppose even some decent women might get "phone jitters" the first time they talk to a guy on eHarmony. I mention meeting up, and she tells me that she's got to leave town for a few weeks. I replied, "That's fine, give me a call when you get back", left the ball in her court... and was ready to meet my next match.

Well, over a week later, she fires off this email...

Happy Passover Scott.

I discovered yesterday, much to my horror, that my ex has been monitoring my computer & telephone activity. Your number was on my cell phone, as well as my computer. He asked about you specifically, unfortunately, because you are the only man I have spoken to (gee - aren't you lucky?). I simply told him that you were a [what I do for a living] I had contacted, and left it at that. In the meantime, I am deleting every email, changing my cell phone & cancelling every other account I can think of. I apologize sincerely for accidentally exposing you to such a thing, he is not violent - merely annoying and very, very, persistent - but I felt that you had a right to know. I am so very sorry.
Sincerely,
[Name withheld]
Consider this a warning, guys. Be careful out there.

And, before you get too attached to someone... remember, you she could be leading you into this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Madness. That could happen if they met at college or workplace.
Spouses remove their rings and the game's afoot!

It is not the fault nor responsibility of eHarmony make spouses faithful and/or stop husbands from acting crazy.

If this is a major concern one may not date EVER!
(I was single in NYC for a couple of decades!)

That woman should have her eHarmony account closed.

I am told many many persons already in relationships &/or married - are on these sites.

Like everything else - Let the buyer beware!